The Arkansas Kraft Division is a fully integrated pulp and containerboard mill utilizing a sustainable combination of virgin fiber and recycled fiber to produce high quality kraft linerboard and corrugating medium.
Reporting to the Manager of Capital Engineering & Planning, the Plant Mechanical Engineer / Project Manager will have management responsibilities for assigned projects and related tasks. This person must work closely with other AKD personnel, contractors, and vendors to successfully execute projects. The Plant Mechanical Engineer will coordinate project planning, execution, start-up, and closure according to strict deadlines and budget.
- Management of various projects from small expense to large capital.
- Working knowledge of how projects flow thru various phases, and how to manage each of these phases to completion.
- Expertise in safety, housekeeping, and environmental regulations as they relate to industrial projects.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Skilled at project scope development and execution.
- Ability to effectively work with Operations, Maintenance, and/or other departmental groups, meeting their needs while always focusing on the successful implementation of the overall project.
- Knows how to facilitate or delegate tasks appropriately.
- Ability to understand & manage projects other than those with purely mechanical discipline (manage the experts).
- Reviews mechanical specifications and performs bid evaluations for new equipment.
- Reviews vendor drawings for specification compliance.
- Provides engineering support to upgrade or repair existing equipment.
- Monitors the type of work described above when performed by outside contractor engineers and designers, for specification compliance, timeliness, and cost effectiveness.
- Researches and analyzes design proposals, specifications, and other data to evaluate the feasibility, cost, and maintenance requirements of designs or applications.
- Normal work hours: 8 hours per day, 5 days a week. Day shift only.
- Additional hours will be required during some phases of project execution and Mill outages.
- Weekend on-call duties will be required several times per year.
- S.M.E. is required; or possibly Civil/Structural depending on work experience.
- 15 years of project management experience in the Pulp and Paper Industry, or some near equivalent.
Desired Experience & Skills:
- Preparation of estimates for mechanical equipment scope.
- Project start-up and troubleshooting.
- Understanding of process piping and pumping systems; how to design, install, and troubleshoot.
- Good working knowledge of ASME and API codes for pressure vessels, heat exchangers, storage tanks, and piping systems, etc.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary and vacation will be based on prior experience and industry averages.