At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We're committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that's welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
Boeing Defense, Space and Security is seeking a Lead or Senior Space Vehicle Mechanisms Engineer
in the Puget Sound area in support of Space programs. Boeing Space & Launch is seeking unique engineering talent to help us develop, integrate, and demonstrate next generation space products and services for our proprietary customers. Space & Launch - Space Capabilities, focuses on rapid prototyping to demonstrate a host of mission-focused technologies for our customers. Our group works all facets of engineering from technology investment, concept development, proposal writing, requirements, design, build, integration, test, and demonstration of space products in their relevant environments. We have immediate openings at all levels for a wide range of engineering talent, and are excited to discuss our opportunities with you.
Our teams are currently hiring for a broad range of experience levels including; Lead or Senior Engineer.
The position will lead the design, development, and integration of advanced mechanical systems (Mechanisms) on Vehicles and Systems for space applications. The position provides an opportunity work with an experienced, interdisciplinary team to develop unique systems to meet challenging requirements on a dynamic development program. Position Responsibilities:
This position is expected to be 100% onsite. The selected candidate will be required to work onsite at one of the listed location options. This position requires the ability to obtain a U.S. Security Clearance for which the U.S. Government requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Leads and directs the Space Vehicle Mechanisms Engineering Design team including Conceptual Development, Analysis, Thermal Review, Dynamics, and Mechanical Design for advanced Space Vehicle Mechanisms.
- Develops Common Non-Recurring Product Definition (C-NRPD) plans and ensures execution of requirements, design layouts, analysis, testing, and assembly integration in a timely manner to support program milestones
- Leads and participates in system level trades to ensure the vehicle design meets all physical, mechanical and environmental requirements while accommodating the required payload, power, propulsion, thermal, communications and attitude control system requirements
- Defines structural, mechanical, environmental design and integration requirements and its constituent assemblies and components including both flight and non-flight (GSE) hardware
- Leads design and manufacturing integration requirements using DFMAT principles
- Supports layout reviews and program level General Arrangement meetings for collaborative engineering across various disciplines
- Approves Interface Control Drawings/Models including Moving Mechanical Assemblies (MMAs)
- Supports and approves manufacturing integration plans, overseeing Digital Mock-Up (DMU) and Virtual Manufacturing (VM) simulation reviews
- Leads the development of mechanical, unit, and vehicle qualification and acceptance test plans
- Supports Program milestone reviews (SRR, PDR, CDR, IDR etc.) and Gate Closure
- Supports design non-conformances and resolution during production
- Provides program observed lessons learned to aid in continuous improvement
- Investigates emerging technologies to develop concepts for future product designs
An interim and/or final U.S. Top Secret Clearance Post-Start is required. Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Bachelor's, Master's or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry
- 5+ years of experience with mechanical/structures assembly engineering and/or mechanical research & development
Typical Education & Experience: Lead (Level 4)
- 10 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience with leading development in any of the following areas: Space structural and mechanical design and engineering; System integration and integrated system test; Systems Engineering Mechanical systems and mechanisms design architecture
- Experience in supplier technical evaluation and technical performance management
- Experience in development, build and test of space mechanisms
- Experience in dynamic rapid prototyping environment
- Experience working on proprietary programs with a variety of Government entities in a classified environment
- Active clearances and SSBI (Single Scope Background Investigation)
Bachelor's degree and typically 9 or more years' experience in an engineering classification or a Master's degree with typically 7 or more years' experience in an engineering classification or a PhD degree with typically 4 or more years' experience in an engineering classification. Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard. Senior (Level 5)
Bachelor's degree typically 14 or more years' experience in an engineering classification or a Master's degree with typically 12 or more years' experience in an engineering classification or a PhD degree with typically 9 or more years' experience in an engineering classification. Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard Relocation:
This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility. Note: Basic relocation will be offered for eligible internal candidates. Drug Free Workplace:
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies. Shift Work Statement:
Union Representation Statement:
- This position is for 1st shift
Eligible for 3ERP Equal Opportunity Employer:
- This is a union-represented position.
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.