Sr. Software Engineer (Satellites) - Top Secret Clearance at SpaceX
Hawthorne, CA or Redmond, WA
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. SOFTWARE ENGINEER (SATELLITES) - TOP SECRET CLEARANCE
SpaceXs satellite programs are pushing the boundaries of in-space capabilities. Our missions support scientific research, classified national security space and commercial opportunities. Software engineering and innovation is at the core of these programs.
The satellite software team is building highly reliable in-space mesh networks, designing secure systems to guarantee access to space, designing next-gen communication and sensing software, and more. Aerospace experience is not required to be successful here - we want our engineers to bring fresh ideas from all areas. We look for engineers who love solving problems and seek to make an impact on an inspiring mission. As we expand this team, we're looking for versatile, motivated, and collaborative engineers.
Our team is involved in designing the vehicle systems at every phase of development. We build tools that enable us to work more efficiently, and that help us build software systems that are secure, reliable, and autonomous. Our software engineers are responsible for the life cycle of the software they create, including development, testing, and operational support.
An active Top Secret security clearance, or ability to obtain one, is desired but not required.
- Create highly reliable software systems that control hundreds of satellites in low earth orbit
- Leverage software design to improve satellite constellation performance, security, and availability to meet the needs of a wide range of users
- See your software through from start to finish: from figuring out the core needs to prototyping, developing, and testing; to on-orbit rollout and beyond
- Work with interdisciplinary teams to brainstorm, design, and build the next generation of satellite capabilities, from cutting-edge sensors and inter-satellite lasers to space-based cloud compute
There are several roles within the satellite software team with different focus areas. Applicants will interview for specific focus areas based on hiring needs and qualifications. Specific role responsibilities may include:
- Writing high quality Linux-based C++ software for common processors and micro controllers (e.g. ARM, PowerPC, x86, etc.)
- Implementing networking technologies to direct data across a variety of satellites, ground operations centers, and users
- Building automated ground-based software systems that integrate smart data processing with command and control of the satellites
- Developing models and simulations for flight-like vehicle software testing, network performance analysis, or research & development projects
- Developing tools that allow for test execution across multiple environments: virtualized hardware, real hardware-in-the-loop, and even vehicle-in-the-loop testing
- Inventing new systems that enable more frequent and reliable software deployment, test execution, and data analysis as part of a continuous integration and release system
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, math, or STEM discipline AND 4+years of experience insoftware development; OR 6+ years experience in software development without a degree
- 2+ years development experience in C, C++, or Python
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Developed and deployed software that has been used real-world applications and projects
- Solid fundamental knowledge of computer architecture and networks
- Strong skills in debugging, performance optimization and unit testing
- Ability to work effectively and creatively in a dynamic environment with changing needs and requirements
- Ability to work independently and in a team, take initiative, and communicate effectively
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret or Top Secret SCI clearance
Some preferred skills and experience depend on the specific team within flight software and may include:
- Experience with networking protocols (TCP, UDP, etc)
- Experience developing in the Linux kernel
- Experience in C++ for high performance systems
- Experience with image data processing and machine learning
- Strong background in math and physics
- Note that an active clearance may provide the opportunity for you to work on sensitive SpaceX missions; if so, you will be subject to pre-employment drug and random drug and alcohol testing
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITARhere () .
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceXs Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at .